OPEN CALL FOR UKRAINIAN LGBTIQ+ ARTISTS / LJUBLJANA PRIDE’S VISUAL ART EXHIBITION ON INTERNATIONAL QUEER SOLIDARITY
NEW DEADLINE: 26ht of March.
WHAT / WHERE / WHY
We are happy to announce we will be hosting an international visual art exhibition on the topic of International Queer Solidarity – Images of resilience and hope. We would like to stimulate reflection, awareness and realisation of the important role international queer solidarity plays in the lives of LGBTIQ+ people in/from Ukraine during the time of war? We would like to create a space where artistic and cultural expression that provides hope to withstand the harsh realities of war and other oppressions faced by the LGBTIQ+ communities gives us all strength to keep on fighting and builds our collective resilience.
A physical exhibition will be organized during Ljubljana Pride Festival 2023 in June 2023 in the gallery Alkatraz in Ljubljana, Slovenia. A digital exhibition will be implemented and promoted on social media in the form of a digital gallery and a social media campaign. A reflection panel and workshops with some of the selected artists will be organized as an accompanying programme to the exhibition in order to further raise awareness of the issues.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE:
LGBTIQ+ artists from Ukraine (both those living in Ukraine and those who fled due to war) with artworks that represent images of resilience and hope in the harsh realities of war and act for a peaceful future of Ukraine and Europe.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
- Visual art of LGBTIQ+ artists about their experience and/or view on international solidarity needed in time of war.
- Visual art that you as artist already created on the topics of the exhibition.
- Visual art that you will create as new, original art by the end of March 2023, as long as you can submit a sketch or concept by the end of the application deadline.
- With visual art we are in particular looking for digital art such as poster art, digital graphics and or prints; traditional works on canvas; visual art in forms of collage or interdisciplinary works like videos or sound-video installations …
- In case the art is not digital, it should be transportable.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT IF YOU GET SELECTED
- 200 EUR gross artist fee.
- Your art will be exhibited live at the Ljubljana Pride Festival 2023 exhibition in June 2023 in Ljubljana, Slovenia and possibly during ILGA Europe annual conference in October 2023.
- Your art will be digitally exhibited and promoted, with possibility of printed reproduction for a local visibility campaign.
- Possibility of costs covered to visit Ljubljana during the festival and participation at the panel.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
To apply, fill out the application by 26th of March 2023.
The jury that will be selecting the artists consists of:
→ Iris Pokovec (visual artist, curator of the exhibition)
→ Pierra Ravnikar (cultural manager and gallerist)
→ Ana Čigon (video, film, animation and performance artist)
Selected artists will be notified by 31th March, via email submitted in the application form.
Each chosen artist will be contacted individually by Ljubljana Pride to consolidate a written agreement and the logistics of possible transportation.
ABOUT LJUBLJANA PRIDE FESTIVAL
Ljubljana Pride Association is the organizer of Ljubljana Pride festival – annual international cultural and political festival of LGBTIQ+ culture with a distinctly political note. Its aim is to break the silence and the suppression of LGBTIQ+ identities, to occupy public space, to present the life and work of the LGBTIQ+ community, and to promote human rights, equal opportunities and freedom of choice. Each year it unfolds around a certain topic that addresses the current political circumstances and realities of LGBTIQ+ communities. The upcoming festival that will take place in Ljubljana in June 2023 will explore ways on how we can support each other internationally as queer people. International solidarity, resilience and hope are the concepts that will inspire the bigger part of the Festival’s programme, the exhibition being one of the focal points.
Application deadline is 26th of March 2023.
This project is financially supported by the European Cultural Foundation.